Sunday, November 13, 2005

Baby Steps



















The Pats are slowly making progress to be a formidable opponent in the playoffs. This secondary should be playing together the rest of the way and will gel a bit better. Randall Gay's ankle will heal (hopefully). Bruschi is already changing games. Seymour money is healthy (for now) and they did a good job applying pressure on the passer and stopping the run. I realize that at times Ferrotte looked like Marino out there, but the end result was a win and a lot of possitives to build on.

Once again it wasn't pretty but the Pats found a way to win in a hostile environment. Somehow watching this game I felt like the Pats were going to win. I never had one of those, "they're gonna lose" moments. Though I thought that they left TOO much time on the clock after the game winning score.

There were two plays that stood out to me as most important in todays game. First was the Tedy Bruschi pass deflection at the goal line. Ferrotte had Welker wide open on a slant in the endzone when Bruschi came flying over to tip the all away. Mare went on to miss the field goal so no points were scored. It was the FIRST time this season that a New England opponent got in the red zone and didn't score. The second big play is one that gives me hope for this defense. After a long catch by McMichael, Colvin stripped him of the ball and the fumble was recovered by Ellis Hobbs. Typical of the championship defenses, bend and don't break, get the turnover at the key situation.

Speaking of Hobbs! I felt that he played a terrific game in his first NFL start. Yes, he was out of place on a couple of occassions, but hey rookie's will do that. He was good in coverage, he supported the run well and what great coverage on the goal line in one on one coverage at the end of the game. I'd also like to give mention to Heath Evans - great game.

It seems like I have praise for Tom Brady all the time, so if you think I'm finally going to get on his case for those two bad interceptions you're dead wrong. Brady actually came out in his press conference and said that the Offense deserves props for doing what they did today. Think about it, Brady is telling the truth, he is out there with:
NO #1 Left Tackle
NO #1 Right Tackle
NO #1 Tight End
NO #1 Center
NO #1 Running Back
NO #2 Running Back
NO #3 Running Back
NO #2 Wide Receiver
He had a tired Troy Brown that had to play Defense, a terrible Bethel Johnson, a useless Andre Johnson, he was on the road at a place where he had a nightmarish game last season, against an immense pass rush, taking many hits, in a very loud staium.

He only went 21 of 36 for 275 yards and for the 21st time in his career, a game winning 4th quarter drive. I don't know how he'll go down in history, but I for one make sure that I enjoy every moment of his performances.

Looking ahead, I REALLY don't like the New Orleans matchup.....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heath Evans was amazing in that game. Tim Dwight is a name that I love hearing come up too. It was good to see that fire back in their eyes. Even the no-names like Poteat came up with some hard hits and good plays.

Also, what about that pummeling that Samuel laid out to Ricky Williams. HOLY CRAP! I bet Ricky wished he was still on a beach smoking dope at that point.

Anonymous said...

Dwight and Evans both impressed me, as well as Hobbs. Though, I thought Bruschi looked like he was still lagging behind the team.

I was frustrated by the lack of drive in the first half, and I DID have a 'they're going to lose' moment at the end of the game when Miami had the ball. However, Brady continues to impress with his ability to make last minute comebacks - regardless of the meager arsenal he's given - and the defense gets the job done when it counts. If only they could have done this LAST week and kept that shadow of doubt on Peyton 'I Finally Won in New England' Manning.