Wednesday, August 29, 2007

They were good, BUT

I have had a lot of people approach me since Friday's game and tell me how great the Patriots played. Yes they were good, BUT there are some things that still bother me.



Stephen Gostkowski bothers me. OK, maybe he just makes me nervous. Did you know he's only 3 of 6 in preseason play? He hasn't made a kick over 32 yds! I am SHOCKED that Bill hasn't brought in another kicker to challenge Gost or at least make him concentrate a little harder. It was a rare occasion when Vinatieri was the lone kicker in camp. He used to bring in an extra kicker all the time to press Vinatieri, suddenly Bill os OK with a second year guy? I know it's pre-season and the guy was 8-8 in the playoffs, but right now I have no confidence that he'll make the game winner. Do you?



The passing game still bothers me. I don't think Brady is on the same page with enough of the wide receivers. Yes he's completed 67% of his passes, but too many of them are dump offs to the RB's. As evidenced by his only getting 7.2 yds per pass. In addition, the leading receivers are Faulk (9 catches) and Evans (7 catches) both running backs. Next is Welker and Washington with 5 catches each. If you take away the 37 yard duck that Brady threw to Stallworth, then he's got only 3 catches for 23 yds. Moss hasn't played a down and he hasn't even practiced since August 1st. Hopefully Moss will come back soon and the game planning (when they actually start game planning) will increase the effectiveness of the wideouts.


The Pass defense also bothers me. In Friday's game, Delhomme and Carr completed 65% of their passes. There was also the little matter of the long TD against the starting defense to end the first half. Maybe the return of Asante helps, but that remains to be seen.


I'm not trying to be a pessimist here. There were many positives to build on in Friday's game. I think that my job as your blogger this year will be to keep everyone level headed and realistic about this team. I'm sure every one of us expects the Pats to win the superbowl and anything short of that will shock us. This is a team that has yet to play a meaningful down and has a lot of work to do to become a playoff contender, nevermind a superbowl winner. So don't get down on me for pointing out 'negatives', I've merely pointed out some stats today that are bothersome. And will continue to do so until they win their 4th title!

Keep on reading and tell your friends you heard it here!


No comments: