Friday, December 08, 2006

Playoff Picture and MORE!

With four games to go in the regular season, this weekends games will have a huge impact on the playoff race and seedings. There are more key match-ups this week than in the last three, so by Monday we'll have a good idea of where the Pats will end up. If the season were to end today, the Pats would host the Bengals on wild card weekend. The other game would be The Jets at Ravens. Indy is still the #1 and SD is 2nd seed. Here are the key games this weekend:

Indy @ Jax. Two straight losses for Indy is highly unlikely and it probably won't make much of a difference to the Pats anyway unless Indy ends up with 4 losses (they have 2 now) . ndy has the head to head as well as conference record tie breakers over the Pats, but who wouldn't want to see Peyton lose again?

Baltimore @ KC Go Herm Edwards. A win for KC would be HUGE for the Pats. Baltimore would have 3 losses and be tied with NE for the 3rd playoff seed. They don't play head to head, and they would both be 6-3 in the conference. I think the next tie breaker is record vs common opponents. I haven't looked THAT far - yet.

Denver @ SD A must win for Denver, tough SD is now vying for the #1 seed with Indy. The Bolts have 2 more 'losable' games after this one and it will take 2 losses for the Pats to be leapfrog them for the #2 seed. This is the biggest game for the Pats this week besides their own.


Speaking of ther own game at Miami, I really like their chances of winning in this game for two reasons. First, a lot of the local media are picking Miami in this game and that ALWAYS motivates the Pats. They just have that knack for winning games that you just don't think they'll win and this game is a prime example. Second, they really sucked last week and it is very rare that this team goes aout and lays an egg two weeks in a row. We'll see how they gameplan for this one knowing that Maroney will likely play sparingly if at all.

The Pats have had success on the road this season and it's because they've gotten out to early leads. With the possibility of Maroney being out, it might be a wise choice for the Pats to come out with the 2 minute offense to start the game. You know, the one that scored on 3 of 4 posessions last week? That would have scored on 4 of 4 if not for the Watson fumble? Spread'em out and pass, run some draws to Faulk to keep the D honest and get an early lead. Miami probably has to rely on the passing game anyway because Ronnie Brown will be out with a broken hand. Harrington will turn it over in this game, especially if they fall behind early and have to pass 80% of the time.

Did you hear me Joshy? 2 minute offense to start the game! Get the lead and then worry about running.

Pats 31 'Fins 10

Loose ends:

I realize that I have not stuck to my plan of a Wednesday posting and have been erratic with the posting schedule. IF I used one of those "notify you when I post" things would that be helpful to you guys or would you not even bother to sign up for it?

Note to Krager, you got your wish. For some reason I forgot that the Browns were playing the Steelers on Thursday night, how could THAT have happened? So I missed the deadline for our pick'em league. You're not welcome.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

DAMN IT!!!! I realized at 8:30pm last night that I forgot mine as well. This thursday night thing is killing me.

That's alright, as long as I beat Barry I'm ok. :)

Russ said...

Of course I'll sign up for updates. There's really nothing to it - all the reader has to do is click on a link, enter their email address, then accept the verification email that comes through. It's perfect. Make it so!

Anonymous said...

Oh, I'd sign up for update e-mails too.

Although I don't think there should be one this week. There's nothing to say. Just one word...


Horrid


I almost want to sell my tickets for Sunday.