Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Where Do We Go From Here?

Thanks for cathcing the Radiohead referrence.

Where DO the Pats go from here? I mean, releasing Doug Gabriel is not the answer. I really hope he talks because I'd love to know what the hell happened there. Is it too early to start looking at next season? I don't think this team can win the superbowl, do you? That being said, there isn't a team out there that you'd say the Pats couldn't possibly beat. While San Diego is probably the best team right now, the Pats have done well against the run this season and Bellichick has a knack for confusing young QB's. So where do we go from here? Let's start with the Miami game.

The two biggest reasons I saw that cost the Pats the game were (surprise surprise) Josh McDaniels and Murphy's Law.
Do I really need to keep telling you what's wrong with Joshy? The Dolphins D did exactly what the world expected them to, press coverage on the corners and rush the passer. The running game seemed to me that it was working. That is until, once again, it was completely abandoned by Joshy. Hey, have you guys ever heard of this Jason Taylor guy? Evidently Joshy has no idea who he is. Come on Joshy, the guy is pounding Brady into the turf on every pass play and you keep trying to block him one on one? As I've said many times before, stop the pass rush with screens and draws. This weeks total? 1 screen, 0 draws. I will give him credit for the horribly executed double pass for a TD.
Anything that could go wrong did go wrong, Murphy's Law. Three punts downed inside the 10, rediculous phantom calls agains the Pats, a fluke TD pass that went through Hawkins hands and on and on.
Of honorable mention for costing the Pats the game is Ken Walter. You CAN NOT tell me that there is no one out there that can kick more than 30 yards.

Looking the rest of the way the Pats have 3 games they should win, but it wouldn't surprise me if they lose two more games. Here's how to look at it now. Thanks to a Jets loss, they've pretty much locked up the division and the #4 seed. It's nearly impossible for them to move up or down from there. Therefore, how this team comes together and executes the rest of the was is more impotant than actaul wins. So what if Vince Young pulls out another miracle come back and beats the Pats, did they do some good things? The last three games are more of a dress rehearsal to work on fixing the holes as best they can before the playoffs begin.

The Playoff Picture
1) SD 2) Indy 3) Balt 4) NE 5) Cincy 6) Jax (Jets, KC and Denver are one game out)

You're right Krager, I dont want to go to this week's game either. And I wouldn't except that I have been fortunate enough to have an invitation to watch the game from a luxury box. I'll be sure to tell all next week!

As soon as I figure out how to set it up, I'll have the "sign up to receive notification of Posts" thingy posted. Can you tell I'm not tech savy?

4 comments:

Barry said...

So why the bleep was Gabriel released?

Tom said...

Bellichick says it was absolutely an on the field issue. That he feels badly but it just didn't work out. Brady's comment was that he doesn't make those decisions and won't comment. Troy Brown said he doesn't know and that he'll probably go ask coach to find out for himself.

Since "the fumble" against the Jets, gabriel has seen limited time and has made 1 catch for 12 yds. For the 6 games he played he was the leading receiver over that span including 3 TD's. It is a mystery to me. Some of the Pats writers had asked him about why he wasn't getting playing time and all he would do was make the button my lips jesture. One time he made a comment that he would talk about it one day but he didn't want to say anything for the better good of the team. Maybe now he'll speak and we'll know, because if HE doesn't tell us, we may never know.

My guess is that he'll end up in Indy. Dallas Clark is injured and they just placed Stokely on IR. Seems like a good fit to me.

IF anyone else has a better answer, I'd be very interested to hear it!

Anonymous said...

I don't have an answer to why, but I thought I heard he went back to the Raiders.

Patriots.com said that Kevin Kight is fighting for the position. I have no idea if that's good or bad.

This is not a super bowl caliber team right now. Here is the only saving grace that i'm using as an excuse in my head right now to keep me from going insane. This loss was against Miami...IN Miami. This is a pretty typical scenario, even with Super Bowl bound Patriots teams, nevermind the rollercoaster this year has been. The fact this loss comes off a scrape-by-win over the Lions is just adding fuel to the fire. We never play well in Miami, and they have always been tough matchup. If we suck this week, you might as well throw in the towel.

Unless....it's all part of the plan...*dr. evil laugh*

Russ said...

Looks like Joshy reads your blog ;-)