Sunday, August 14, 2005

What did you think about the game?


That has been the first thing most people have asked me since Friday night. My first impression was that there was really not a lot to say and that is probably still the case, but here are some thoughts anyway.

I think everyone was pleasantly surprised with Matt Cassell. While I indicated to you that he was one to watch, I never anticipated his ability to run. He did a great job scrambling for 1st downs when the play wasn't there rather than try to force the issue. I was quite impressed with his TD pass because he read the blitz, audabled to the right play and then executed. Could this spell the end of Davey? He certainly was unimpressive, and inaccurate.

The Running game looked pretty good, Dillon had the one long run, typical for the preseason Pass looked good, but the RB of the day was Kory Chapman. Evidently Cobbs didn't make the trip because he was held out of Wednesday's practice with injury. Good for Chapman for making the most of his opportunity. It will be interesting to see how Belichick interprets Chapman's performance and if that puts him in contention with Cobbs for a roster spot. Stay tuned.

I didn't really notice Mankins with the exception of the one sweep play, but when the Pats ran it was mostly behind Mankins and Light. If we can say that the running game was good, then you can say that Mankins played well and will probably be the opening day starter.

Overall on offense we really didn't get to see how good they might be because there was no Brady Branch Watson or Gameplanning. Look for a lot of Flutie this Thursday vs New Orleans.

The defense was good and bad, but not that bad. I think teams are going to have a HELL of a time trying to pass against that secondary. It really didn't matter who was in, the Bengal receivers were blanketed. Rookie Ellis Hobbs (Iowa St) led the secondary in tackles, but that's because of playing time. I really didn't like what I saw agianst the run, so that was bad. You can take that with a grain of salt because Seymour and Warren weren't there, Vrabel was injured early, and Beisel and Brown are new. Hill had a nice strip on a pass rush, but I was hoping for more from him especially given the amount of time he got. I did like Rodney Bailey who seemed to do quite a bit when he was in there.

If I'm with the Bengals I'm VERY HIGH on Odell Thurman #51. That guy was EVERYWHERE, great 2nd round pick.

You'll be on your own for Thursday's game vs. New Orleans, as I'll be in San Diego for a seminar. I'll try to get you a post or two before I leave town.

1 comment:

CJ said...

I was hoping for a better performance by Rohan, only so his stock would increase and we could get a mid-round pick for him. In any case I don't see him making the opening day roster.