Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Vinateiri-eyed?

I never thought that my 100th post would be a goodbye to Adam Vinatieri. The salt in the wound is that he went to Indy, of all places. It would have been an easier pill to swallow if it was Green Bay or Dallas, but not with Manning and Co.

While I am not particularly happy with the decision to let Adam walk, you've got to figure that the Pats know something that we don't. They certainly could have re-signed him if they felt like they needed him that badly. (the team makes $250 million/year not to metion all the cap space they currently have) That being said, this is NOT a smear campaign on Vinatieri. #4 has been the difference between the Pats and the rest of the league during the dynastinc period. However, we don't know what the Pats know about Vinatieri. Maybe his back issues are worse than we know. In pregame they always have the Kicker kick to both ends of the field to mark what his farthest kick in either direction will be on that day. We are not privy to that info, maybe Adam's range was getting to be less than they are comfortable with. I don't even have to mention how short his kick-offs are, though I thought they were a liitle better last year. Again, this is not meant to be a smear campaign, I for one wish they brought him back, but it is hard for me not to have emotional ties to this player. The Pats have the facts.

I'm not going to try not to judge these moves until I see the team that they bring in to training camp, but the Pats certainly have a LOT of work to do to build this roster back to Championship caliber.

Kickers out there are Vanderjerk, Edinger and rumor has it that Olindo Mare may be cut from Miami. The obvious choice of those 3 is Edinger.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

No kicker is worth that much money, have you forgotten Vinateiri came from no where? the CFL???? theres more of his type out there hes also starting to show some decline as of last year and said he wanted to kick in a dome or warm climate. We lost Law,Milloy,woody all in 2 years and still won SB's those years so relax hes only a kicker.. Now if it was Tom Brady I would be worried.

Anonymous said...

Devestated.

Bryan

Anonymous said...

What pisses me off the most, is his "my hear is still in NE" attitude. You know what Adam, SHOVE IT UP YOUR ASS!! If your heart was here, $500K wouldn't have drawn you to INDY OF ALL F'ING PLACES!!!

I hope he loses money from less endorsements, and has the worst years of his career. GRRRRRRRRRR


I just hope some people jump off the season-ticket list so that I can move up!

In good news, Willie Mac jersey's are $25 at the proshop!

Too pissed off and depressed to comment anymore.

CJ said...

A kicker probably only gets on the field about 5-10 times a game and that includes kick-offs. If AV was to re-sign with the Pats for 3 mill a year, how could you look guys like Bruschi, Harrison, Vrabel.... who would be making less money a year that the kicker!!! Everyone would be looking for a raise, then all that cap room they had would be gone. I know the Pats are one the best cap managing teams in the league, which means some times you gotta let guys like AV walk. Also, what better way to spend the latter years of your career (for a kicker that is) kicking field goals and extra points ONLY in a domed stadium. Sounds like a cushy job to me.