Monday, September 03, 2007

Here Comes the Roster, et al

The roster has been trimmed to 55 guys. Though NFL teams are supposed to be at 53, the Pats can temporarily hold 55 because Rodney will not count until after week 4 and they still have a time to 'activate' Asante. I think the only real surprise with the roster moves is that they indeed kept 6 wide receivers - for now. It also appears that Tory James will only be around for another day or two until Asante is activated. David Thomas was removed from the P.U.P. list (it says here that he's the BEST tight end on the team) but it remains to be seen how healthy he is and how many games he might still miss. The Pats have also cut Reche Caldwell.


Oh, and there is the little matter of Richard Seymour being placed on P.U.P. He will not be eligible to play until the 7th game of the season - IF he's healthy by then. I'm not even sure what's wrong with him (Maybe he pulled a muscle trying to carry his money around). Fortunately, (or maybe intentionally) the Pats have lots of depth in Jarvis Green and with the emergence of LaKevin Smith, who held his own this preseason. We probably won't even notice Seymour's absence. I know I won't.


The players that were cut and cleared waivers that have been signed to the practice squad are Bam Childress, CJ Jones, Corey Mays, Clint Oldenburg and Santonio Thomas. Players that were cut and claimed by other teams include Garrett Mills by Minnesota and Justin Rogers by Dallas.


And now Rodney...

Let me just say that you should NOT be surprised that he was using HGH. I'm fairly certain that they've all used it to some degree. Human beings are not just born that big and fast. HGH cannot be tested for and that's why the feds are starting to go after the places that sell the stuff. Rodney happened to purchase his from the latest company to be busted. So he was forced to admit that he bought it and used it. I can't say I blame him. He was at the end of his career, had suffered 2 seasons of injury and desperately wanted to get back on the field. At least that's his story and I believe him.

It is interesting to speculate just when the Pats found out that Rodney was going to be suspended. I think it's obvious that they knew going into last Thursday's game because Meriweather played the entire game at Safety after playing 95% of his practice reps at corner in training camp. It also makes me wonder if they 'caved' in to Asante when they got word of Harrison's suspension. Why else would they suddenly agree to remove the franchise tag for next season and bring him in when they did? If they knew they were going to cave, why wouldn't they have done it early in camp so he'd be ready for week 1? As I posted previously I was upset with the Pats for giving in, but maybe they didn't have a choice when given the news of Rodney's suspension.

I'm looking to post my predictions for the 2007 season later today!

No comments: