Monday, September 03, 2007

Here Goes Nothing

Welcome to this year's version of futility, when I make my predictions for the upcoming NFL season. Just to refresh your memories, last year I had the Pats going 13-3, beating the Broncos to get to the superbowl to beat the Drew Bledsoe led Cowboys. My sleeper team was the Arizona Cardinals. I had Indy losing in the first round of the playoffs for lack of a running game. I was pretty close, huh?

This year will be different though. (Sure it will.) I've done extensive research on rosters and strength of schedule and factored in the teams with new head coaches. Low and behold, just like I thought last year, I think the Patriots will win the superbowl. I think that this year, you think the same thing.

Without further babbling, here are the 2007 Predictions.

AFC EAST

Pats 14-2 I really think it's more like 15-1, but I wouldn't want to be accused of being a homer.

Jets 8-8 Manjuvenille got them to play over their heads last year, they come back to earth in '07

Miami 7-9 Trent Green eventually catches on and while old, the D is still very good.

Bills 6-10 I really wanted to pick them as sleepers. I think Losman's going to boarder on great this season, but they have no defense.



AFC NORTH

Ravens 10-6 Overhyped team with a great D and an over-the-hill, has been QB.

Steelers 9-7 Too much talent to have another crappy year. Heath Miller's break out season.

Bengals 8-8 A lot of O and a little D. The players will get tired of losing and tune out coach Lewis.

Browns 3-13 They have a lot of young talent, but can't overcome a mediocre D and a bad Offensive line.


AFC SOUTH

Colts 12-4 I was leaning toward 11-5, but their division sucks and they get 6 wins there alone.

Titans 6-10 No wide receivers and no Defense. I feel bad for Vince Young this season.

Jags 6-10 Del Rio is on the hot seat will be a lame duck by midseason. Oh and David Garrard.

Texans 6-10 They will improve some this year, but they're not ready to win - yet!


AFC WEST

Broncos 11-5 Restocked and Reloaded. Maybe the best Defense in the NFL this year.

Chargers 10-6 A slow start hurts them while they adjust to an entirely new offense and an entirely new defense. They'll be a hot team come playoff time.

Chiefs 4-12 That's great, but who are the Chefs?

Raiders 3-13 A good defense, but a putrid offense.


AFC PLAYOFFS

wild card - Broncos over Steelers and Chargers over Ravens

divisional - Pats over Chargers and Colts over Broncos

championship - Pats over Colts



NFC EAST

Eagles 11-5 McNabb is back and has something to prove.

Redskins 10-6 ONE of my sleeper picks in the NFC.

Dallas 9-7 Too much scheme change to overcome and I'm not sold on Romo.

Giants 6-10 No secondary and a lame duck coach.


NFC NORTH

Bears 11-5 They win this division by default.

Lions 7-9 An awesome offense will win some games, but they badly need some D.

Pack 6-10 Favre should have retired 2 years ago, too many young players around him.

Vikings 4-12 Two words, Tavaris Jackson.


NFC SOUTH

Saints 12-4 Reggie Bush becomes the best back in the league.

Tampa Bay 10-6 My SECOND surprise team in the NFC.

Carolina 8-8 Delhomme isn't that good, no 2nd receiver, the John Fox show is getting old.

Atlanta 4-12 Slightly better on D, but they can't win with Harrington. Maybe they'll have a better record if TB cuts Simms and they anoint him their starter over Harrington. I will be cheering for them because I feel for new caoch Bobby Petrino.


NFC WEST

Seattle 10-6 Not great, but the best team in the west.

Rams 9-7 The 'experts' favorite pick to win this division. I'm no expert.

49er's 7-9 The experts favorite for a sleeper team. Next year.

Cardinals 6-10 I won't pick them as a sleeper again. Larry Fiztgerald becomes a GREAT.


NFC PLAYOFFS

wildcard - Eagles over TB and Seattle over Washington

divisional - Saints over Seattle and Eagles over Bears

championship - Saints over Eagles


SUPERBOWL XLII

The Patriots over The Saints.
The Pats find a way to stop Reggie Bush on one or two series and win the highest scoring superbowl ever, 48-44. (I picked the same two teams as everyone else, so I had to come up with a different score, right?)



Last year's prediction Post was the one that generated the most response. Bring it on!

No comments: